Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Taare Zameen Par


When an Aamir Khan movie is announced , the expectation already gets build up. It grows more and more with the tidbits published on magazines , papers and finally when the promos are on air, the expectation reaches the culmination. No doubts there were some HUGE disappointments ! ( Remember Mangal Pandey !!) But still an Aamir Khan movie still catches every filmbuff’s ( Hindi ofcourse) attention.

When Aamir announced Taare Zameen Par as the director and producer, surely the expectation was high. And surely he did not disappoint the viewers. A truly “ Hat ke” movie from a “ Hat ke” actor. Taare Zameen Par is the story of Ishaan Awasthi ( Darsheel Safary), a 8 year old child who loves kites, dogs, fishes and loves to paint. But he suffers from Dyslexia. Dyslexia is a problem related to learning. When one suffers from Dyslexia , he finds it difficult to read or to make out the alphabets , words and numbers. But it can be overcome. But under the sheer pressure of “ performing” , Ishaan becomes frustrated, so much so that he rebels. He is sent to the boarding school by his father. There he is crushed completely. Lonely and scared, he further gets into a cocoon. Ram Nikumbh ( Aamir Khan) , the new art teacher of the school could make out what’s exactly wrong with Ishaan and slowly tries to bring him out of his shell.

My heart really goes out to those small children carrying bags almost as heavy as him/herself to school. Not that I belong to some other era, but yes we definitely did not carry such loads to school. ( There , I again, start like a granny) But under constant pressure to “ perform” I wonder will these children ever enjoy their childhood. Of course my parents had breathe fresher air than me and my siblings in their childhood, but the air we breathe was also fresher than now. But the pressure to “ perform” was there always with us also. May be our parents had lesser pressure than us. I remember the great hue and cry when I was to appear in my 10th . Then when I was in 12th , atleast few people cared to ask. Graduation and PG, except for my family noone. Ofcourse after that , all those “ caring” aunts want to know my qualification so that I can “ settle down” . Now I only use the admit card of my 10th Board exam , as the official proof of my age!!

Taare Zameen Par is a good movie. I went to see the movie because I am an Aamir Khan fan , but I came out of the theatre as a Darsheel Safary fan also. What a brilliant performance! Infact every actor had done so well. A word of caution , it’s not a children movie , don’t get mislead by the cartoons on promos. It’s a movie about a child , maybe every child in someway, which every parent should watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment