Friday, January 17, 2014

Som Tam - The Thai Green Papaya Salad.

Here I am again..back in the kitchen. This time as a part of a facebook group event Guided Cooking - Week 1 . The recipe Thai Green papaya Salad / Som Tam. ( The Event )

Even though I like Thai Food, I really had never cooked them in my kitchen.My husband cooked Red Thai Curry and the Green Thai curry in one or two of our house parties. So when this came up, I grabbed the opportunity to start with this really simple salad.

The recipe shared was from About.com
(http://abt.cm/KemvNt)

Even though I tried and followed the recipe, there were some changes here and there while I was preparing this. Here's how I did .

Ingredients :

1 small Green papaya
1/2 cup roasted pea nuts. I used them slightly crushed.
1 cup bean sprout
Some button tomatoes. Smaller ones can be used as it is and bigger ones cut into wedges. I used 7-8.
2 Spring onions cut into thin pieces
Chopped fresh coriander
Few Basil leaves. I didnot have basil, so used mint instead.
1 Red Chilli cut into thin strips. I used 1/2 Red Bell Pepper.
1Green Chilli cut into thin strips
1 cup of blanched green beans.

Dressing :

2 Table spoon Fish Sauce
2 table Spoon Soy Sauce
2 Table spoon olive oil
Juice of half a lime.
1 table spoon honey
Little red chilli flakes.
In process

Add all the Dressing ingredients together and mix them thoroughly and keep aside.

Peel and deseed the Green papaya. Since I did not have a large grater, I used the potato peeler and knife to cut into thin ribbon like strips. This took a while, but trust me you will love the result.

Now mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dressing and give it a good toss so that everything gets mixed well.

Now add the nuts and toss again. If you want u can add more honey or even sugar in this stage. However mine was tasting fine so I didnot add any.

Pour some nuts, coriander and basil and serve in a bowl or plate. Ok, honestly I was slightly disappointed as the colour of the salad was not like the pictures available on web. Mine one turned slightly brownish because of the dark soy. But as they say " All's well that end's well". It did not look bad or ugly ( if I may use the word for food) at all and above all it tasted super. Husband happy and me too.

Thai Green Papaya Salad / Som Tam










No comments:

Post a Comment