Saturday, August 29, 2015

Dahiwali Arbi / Taro Root (Colocassia) with Curd


Staying home alone, dinner mostly tend to be a simple quick fix affair. But sometimes I feel like experimenting with something new and treat myself to that. Today is one such day. I checked what all I had in my kitchen and I remembered getting few Arbi or Taro Root (Colocassia) yesterday. So be it. I will try and make something with Arbi which I have not made before. Google Maharaj to rescue to and I zeroed upon Arbi with curd. The other day I tried my luck in Dahiwali Bhindi which turned out quite well. I think I still have a little hangover of that!

Ingredients :
Please note I was cooking only for myself. Hence the quantity




5-6 Arbis

One Tomato

Little piece of Ginger


Arbi or Taro Root
2 Green chilies

½ cup Curd

Pinch of Hing or Asafoetida

¼ Tea spoon of Cumin seeds

¼ Tea spoon of Turmeric powder

¼ Tea spoon of Coriander powder

Oil to fry

Salt as per taste

Chopped coriander leaves to garnish


The Process ::

Wash the Arbis thoroughly and boil in the pressure cooker to one whistle. Once the Arbis are cooled, peel them and cut into pieces. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the pieces. Take out from oil and keep aside.

Boiled Arbis cut into pieces
Now cut the tomato into small pieces, add the green chilies and the piece of ginger and make a smooth paste in the mixture by adding little water. Whisk the curd and keep it ready.







Heat 2 tea spoon of oil and add the hing and the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds splutter add turmeric powder, coriander powder , the tomato – chili - ginger paste and fry until oil is separated. Add the Arbi pieces into the spicy mix now. Cook with the lid for 5 minutes. Slowly pour the curd and gently mix everything. At this point I had switched off the gas and closed the lid. 


Dahiwali Arbi

After 5 minutes add chopped coriander to garnish and serve with rotis, paratha or rice as a side dish. Confession I did not have coriander leaves today! So skipped the garnishing part.

It tastes really awesome. I am not saying that because I love dishes with curd; but because it honestly does. Do try and let me know what do you think of it.


Arbi with curd and roti

No comments:

Post a Comment